2001: A Space Odyssey

Forum

the best movie i ever seen. I seen this movie thousand times. My vhs copy is over. My regards.

>>By lu├Žano   (Monday, 25 Nov 2002 18:59)

Can somebody please give me an explanation of this film

>>By podbaydoors   (Monday, 2 Dec 2002 13:14)

never seen it

>>By fish   (Wednesday, 18 Dec 2002 04:50)

I agree, the best movie than i ever see in my life

>>By Drago   (Thursday, 9 Jan 2003 23:28)

2001 is ok, but I like Barry Lyndon a lot more

>>By keysersoze   (Thursday, 27 Feb 2003 20:33)

This is one of the most interesting movies ever made. It is not just the fact that it was made 35 years ago; it still holds regarding the technology..., but the concept of the movie is so totally in line with the book by Arthur C Clarke. I had it on VHS but I got it on DVD now so I can watch it as often as I want...If you have never seen it, please watch it with all your senses open, don't expect to understand it, put your own interpretations into it, and discuss it with others. You will definately be amazed!

>>By hal bowman   (Saturday, 26 Apr 2003 18:10)

Does anybody know what the end means?

>>By mecardoc   (Friday, 13 Jun 2003 14:36)

Mecardoc, The end represents the evolutionary transition of man as a tool using ape (bones to kill and spaceships are still only tools despite the technological gulf between them) to the Star Child. Quite what the Star Child ultimately is remains open to interpretation which is why it's represented as an embryo.

>>By Macky Avelly   (Friday, 20 Jun 2003 00:36)

I will now explain this movie, for those who wish to better understand it, and thus get the most enjoyment out of watching the greatest movie ever made in the history of man.

This is why Hal killed Frank and the 3 in hibernation, and tried to kill Dave:

Hal was not evil, but confused becuase his orders were to conceal the true meaning of the mission. His confusion led to errors which led to the final course of action, to dispose of the crew and to carry out the mission himself.

It was only after Dave had shut down Hal that the pre-recorded message explaining the true meaning for the mission to Jupiter played automatically, and Dave learned the truth.

When he arrived at Jupiter, with no hope of a return to Earth (remember Hal controlled msot major functions on the ship), he went out to examin the monolith.

Once reaching the Monolith, he was sent through a star gate. The star gate was like a worm hole, which sent him billions and billions of miles through space. His final destination was a false world created for him by whatever beings had created the Monoliths and had been observing the human race through use of the monolith on the moon of Earth. Here he lived the rest of his life alone, untilt he day he died, when he was finally contacted again by a Monolith. When he died, he was then reborn in the next evolutionary step. He became a child of the stars.

Dave Bowman was a baby. A newborn child of the stars.. who are beings who had evolved past their physical forms and became something else entirely. Like a spirit that could do anything.. like a god. They can travel anywhere in the universe at will, and do pretty much anything. They are the beings who created the monoliths, and the ones who left the monolith on the moon to watch and observe humankind, a race of intelligence whom they themselves lent a helpling too at the Dawn of Man.

Is this clear, or do you need further explanation?

If you think you understand it now, or still aren't quite sure... re-read my post and then watch the movie immediately. Nothing in the movie is flat-out explained, but if you know all the things I just typed out, it should make perfect sense.

>>By Starduck   (Wednesday, 7 Apr 2004 03:01)

This Movie was Terrible! I didn't understand what the hell this movie was about.

>>By RammsteinLiebe   (Saturday, 24 Apr 2004 03:13)

It might make more sense if you read the book. The book makes things clearer.

I like Hal even if he does turn out to be a killer. :-) Starduck is right. Hal isn't evil, just confused.

>>By Mikey_Canuck   (Saturday, 24 Apr 2004 04:19)

I just saw this movie and I'm spaced out

What is the monolith?

Was this movie the first of its kind?
It reminded me of many things. Moonraker (the revolving thing), Star Wars (the Star Destroyer spaceships with the radar in the same position), Star Trek.

What happened at the end?

Some of the future predictions that were made in 1968 were true. Like the video conferencing thing. We now have netmeeting and stuff. It was funny how the call cost was $1.70 or something. Back then $1.70 was probably a lot of money (for a phone call anyway). But the price seems reasonable for the year 2001. But then maybe it was accounting for inflation.

I'm still sceptical of Starduck's explanation. Stargate/wormhole seems unplausable. I thought he was just tripping out from all the magnetic radiation.

There's no evidence that other lifeforms created the monolith either.

>>By ftad   (Thursday, 13 May 2004 05:45)

The monolith is a physical form of an evoltionary paradigm shift, in this case an "original idea" or a light bulb if you will. When the monkeys tribes fought and the one tribe realized a stick can be a tool to dominate the other the monolith was present. It also was present when humans made computers sentient, hence "Hal". The entire movie itself isn't in human time at all, it is actually a moment, with everything happening in the time it takes for the mind to create an idea. That's why the phone call was actually his sons "birthday"- it could be nothing else. the "original ideas" either had to be used...to be created or born, or discarded, - murdered. Any more insights e-mail me. A very good film.

>>By noname1   (Wednesday, 19 May 2004 06:08)

DOn't be layzie if u didn't understand the fillm just read the book it won't do you no harm

>>By Flavio   (Wednesday, 22 Dec 2004 00:52)

Personally, I found it excessively boring, too long, and an ending that did not do Arthur C. Clarke any justice. It was what I call a "tortise movie", that progressed so slowly that moss could have grown on it.

I found the film "Forbidden Planet", which preceded it by eighteen (18) years to be a far superior film (with no commentary what-so-ever on its discussion page).

>>By Meliorism   (Sunday, 19 Jun 2005 16:57)

The discussion board is currently closed.